Thursday, November 15, 2012

On wisdom & regret

First, I apologize.

There is a lot of awful stuff written by me on this blog. It takes certain wisdom to be able to write nice things. Sooner or later we all form an opinion. An opinion about most things that we see or experience first hand in life. Now the process of forming these opinions is rather interesting. As soon as a child is born there are certain innate actions & desires in the child. A desire to be comfortable, or trivially the desire to live and a action as trivial as the act of breathing which a child needs no training in.

I could now go on to explain Darwin's notions about natural selection but I will assume that the reader is aware of Darwin's ideas and their implications. So the child is born and we know for certain that a child dies too. That that lives shall also die. Plants , animals and of course us. But again it is still hardwired in us to go to bed in night believing we will be alive and well come the morning. Now there may be exceptions in cases of illness - mental or physical but in general everybody expects to be alive for some good amount of time but definitely not forever and ever. But there is not good enough reason to believe that entirely. Heart ailment, earthquakes, fires, cyanide  or for that matter Hiroshima-Nagasaki can happen anytime.

However, it is not reasonable as the chance of any of these happening is less. I won't however say that reason is the only thing that is at work here but there is optimism as well which certainly finds more favor with humans rather than plants and animals. How these emotions and in general concepts like optimism attach to humans is rather a bit of difficult explaining to do but we do know with certainty that it is not the work of my knees.

So all I shall say is that it is the brain where all this action is happening and most of it evolves as we age but the initial bit is formed sometime after the sperm and the ovum have had their work sorted out after fertilization. I shall not humiliate myself by talking about the initial phases of the brain development. Rather, I will focus on the age angle. So as a child ages it gets wiser. The child knows when and how to cry and get the work done which initially is limited to hunger, thirst, discomfort and yes about surviving.

Now, I use the word survive because living is hardly a baby's concern. We start living once we become reasonably wise. So now I shall get back to where I started from which is about my apology about whatever I have written till date. And to make it grand, I had rather say that don't hold me responsible for any of my actions from the time I was born to date. I lived my age of wisdom in a rather ignorant state.


However, it shall be a pity if one was to die ignorant. Fortunately, I realize that but I don't know how big an achievement that is and so I shall leave it for the reader to decide on that but not before pleading the reason in him to think of the ignorance that we all live in.And also, I shall not claim wisdom but I have now with me the knowledge of it's existence.

And as long as I survive, I shall also live.  

No comments: